Re: SSH allows deletion of other users files...

From: sarnoldat_private
Date: Mon Jun 04 2001 - 15:17:04 PDT

    On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 11:19:37AM -0400, David F. Skoll wrote:
    > I could not duplicate this with OpenSSH 2.9p1-1 on Red Hat 6.2

    David (and other bugtraq readers), we think we have found some
    additional information that is important in tracking the source of the
    problem.

    The problem code is invoked in the X forwarding of ssh. If you try
    again, this time passing -X as a command line argument to the ssh
    client, you may find different results. Depending upon the user's
    combination of ssh_config and the server's sshd_config, this may or
    may not be (quickly) exploitable on your system. [1] Running ssh -X
    will create the /tmp/ssh-XXXXXXXX directory that is needed for the
    exploit.

    Another thing to note: Solar Designer's Openwall patch for the 2.2.x
    series of Linux kernels effectively prevents this exploit with a
    kernel syslog entry similar to:

    Security: not followed symlink of 5049.5050 by UID 0, EUID 0, process sshd:20264

    The versions of OpenSSH we have found to be vulnerable are:
    2.9p1, 2.5.2p2, 2.3.0p1

    Cheers!

    [1]: I seem to recall some changes in the X forwarding code in OpenSSH
    recently (last year or so) that affects how the client and server
    negotiate X forwarding, specifically that the sshd_config file may not
    be able to prevent X forwarding, possibly depending upon the version
    of sshd. It may have been the X client was not able to prevent X
    forwarding, depending upon the version of ssh. Disabling X forwarding
    in the configuration files may or may not disable this exploit.