OpenSSH_2.5.2p2 RH7.0 <- version info

From: zen-parseat_private
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 03:04:18 PDT

    Sorry, I forgot some relevant information.

    With regards to previous post:
    Tested on:-

    Red Hat Linux release 7.0 (Guinness)

    [zen-parse@clarity zen-parse]$ rpm -qf /usr/sbin/sshd
    openssh-server-2.5.2p2-1.7.2
    [zen-parse@clarity zen-parse]$ ssh -V
    OpenSSH_2.5.2p2, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090581f

    The configuration file has not been modified from the default settings.

    Although sshd does drop root privileges, the processes groups are not
    cleared. (From /proc/$$/status of the sshd handling the session, and the
    output of strace and ltrace. (no use of initgroups in the ltrace output of
    the process that creates the directory, although it does do change euid
    before hand. there no setgroups in the strace output.))

    There may be a race condition for writing the cookie file to any directory
    that the groups root has if you can delete the directory and replace it
    with a symlink before the file is created, but I haven't tested this.

    The file itself is created with O_EXCL so a symlink in place of the file
    cannot be used to create/overwrite arbitrary files.

    On Redhat 7.0 it appears creation of a file called cookie could be
    acheived in only a few places

     /var/lock/subsys
     /var/run/netreport
     /mnt/cdrom
     /mnt/floppy

    and any of the world writable directorys.