Re: SSH allows deletion of other users files...

From: Jerry Connolly (jerry.connollyat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 06:31:42 PDT

    Jason DiCioccio said the following on Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 09:08:26AM -0700,
    > Also: SSH Version OpenSSH_2.3.0 greenat_private 20010321 -- That comes
    > with FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE
    > is not vulnerable at first glance.  It does not appear to use /tmp files
    > as yours does and therefore is not vulnerable.

    I tested it on OpenSSH_2.5.2 on OpenBSD and it worked.  I had to enable X
    forwarding on the client and server before the remote machine would create
    (and attempt to unlink() ) the cookies file.

    The offending code is in session.c in the xauthfile_cleanup_proc() function

    <SNIP>
    /*
     * Remove local Xauthority file.
     */
    void
    xauthfile_cleanup_proc(void *ignore)
    {
        debug("xauthfile_cleanup_proc called");

        if (xauthfile != NULL) {
            char *p;
            unlink(xauthfile);
    </SNIP>

    where xauthfile points to a buffer containing the name of the cookies file.

    Cheers.

    --
    Jerry Connolly                  Computer Incident Response Team
    jerry.connollyat_private       Eircom Multimedia