Re: Qpopper 4.0.3 **** Fixes Buffer Overflow **** (fwd)

From: Florian Weimer (Florian.Weimerat_private-Stuttgart.DE)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 15:02:56 PDT

    Roman Drahtmueller <drahtat_private> writes:

    > We hope that this information is accurate. Version 4.0.2 is not on the ftp
    > server any more, and there is no patch from 4.0.2 to 4.0.3.
    > We currently feel handicapped in our efforts to check the code for the
    > changes wrt the buffer overflow.

    Fortunately, there are mirrors.  The problem is that 4.0.2 discovered
    the buffer overflow attempt, even logged it via syslog(), but failed
    to actually truncate the string and copied the original one to a
    buffer of bounded length.

    However, I agree that removing the previous version and not providing
    a diff is extremely counterproductive.

    --
    Florian Weimer 	                  Florian.Weimerat_private-Stuttgart.DE
    University of Stuttgart           http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/