RE: SECURITY.NNOV: Outlook Express address book spoofing

From: David F. Skoll (dfsat_private)
Date: Fri Jun 08 2001 - 11:59:52 PDT

    On Fri, 8 Jun 2001 Otto.Dandenellat_private wrote:

    > One simple method of adding security in this case would be to pop up a
    > security alert when there is an attempt to add an address book entry where
    > the real name portion is de facto an RFC compliant mail address. The user
    > then can decide if he wants to allow the entry.

    There are two problems with this:

    1) I do not believe pop-ups are effective.  The entire Windows security
    model is built on "warn-and-nag", and one more box will just annoy users
    who will unthinkingly hit "OK".

    2) I bet I could craft e-mail addresses which are not RFC-compliant,
    but which almost every MTA will deliver anyway.  For example:

    	dfsat_private

    is not RFC-compliant (note the trailing dot), but Sendmail happily
    delivers it.  "Be liberal in what you accept" turns out to bite you.

    I still maintain that very few legitimate full names have an "@" sign
    in them, so those should be filtered out, no questions asked.  In
    12 years on the Internet, I've never received mail from someone with an
    "@" in his/her full name.

    --
    David.