RE: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-030

From: Calanan, Michael (calananat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 12:53:40 PDT

    Just to follow-up on this with a real-world example, we applied the v2.0
    patch (dated 8 June) on an Exchange 2000 server, noticed the symptoms of
    the original release of the patch (6 June), where store.exe was
    consuming 100% of the CPU and opened a call to MS.  The tech had us roll
    back the patch by hand, after which everything ran smoothly and notified
    us that a new revision (v3.0?) of the patch would be released soon.

    Unfortunately by the next morning we had to reopen the call due to the
    fact that the Exchange server was again suffering from the same
    symptoms. The tech notified us that he had just received an internal
    e-mail announcement that the 3rd revision of the patch was available and
    suggested that we apply it.  After doing so the Exchange server is again
    running smoothly but of course "consumer confidence" is going to remain
    low for the next couple of days until this patch proves it's finally
    fixed.

    At the time (this morning), the version of the patch was 4419.26,
    although now I see their web site is reporting it is version 4419.27,
    with the corresponding link to the patch returning a 404 error, so maybe
    a 4th rev. is in the works?

    - mike

    Michael C. Calanan, Systems Analyst
    mailto:calananat_private
    Gynecologic Oncology Group, Statistical and Data Center at Roswell Park
    Cancer Institute
    Buffalo, NY