RE: Win2k Permissions bug (fwd)

From: Jesper M. Johansson (jjohanssat_private)
Date: Wed Jun 13 2001 - 07:22:34 PDT

    >> Configuration where the problem has been observed:
    >>  . Windows 2000 Server SP1
    >>  . NT 4.0 SP6a Workstation
    >
    >No, this is wrong. NT 4.0 doesn't support propogating permissions down
    the
    >tree. It can only propogate permissions from parent to child at
    creation
    >time. You've observed something similar, but the propogation feature
    didn't
    >exist until Win2k.

    There was a horrendous add-on that came with SP4 for NT 4 called the
    Security Configuration Manager. It was essentially a beta for the new
    permissions and the Security Configuration Editor in Win2K. It did add
    inheritance to the permissions structure, and in the process destroyed
    your ability to manage large directory hierarchies. If you have that
    installed, I am not surprised you are having problems. They are mild
    compared with what some others are seeing. Unfortunately, many people
    still recommend its use.

    Jesper