RE: The Dangers of Allowing Users to Post Images

From: Richard M. Smith (rmsat_private)
Date: Thu Jun 14 2001 - 13:01:03 PDT

    This is a *very* interesting finding.  It seems
    kind of obvious too.  I wonder why no one seems
    to have run across it before.

    This same weakness can be exploited from an
    HTML email message also.  The bottom line is that
    a privileged operation should always require
    an HTTP POST and never allow a GET.  Hmm, I wonder how many
    Web sites break this rule?

    At least in Outlook 2002, cookies are disabled
    in HTML email messages by default.  With other
    email readers, cookies are likely turned on
    by default.

    Interesting how cookies continue to bite us in the butt!
    In this situation, it is third-party cookies
    that are doing the biting.

    Of course, with JavaScript enabled in email,
    a malicious message can still do a POST.  Yet
    another reason to turn off JavaScript in email.

    Richard M. Smith
    CTO, Privacy Foundation
    http://www.privacyfoundation.org