Re: OpenBSD 2.9,2.8 local root compromise

From: Rick Updegrove (dislistsat_private)
Date: Fri Jun 15 2001 - 13:44:57 PDT

    From: "Andreas Haugsnes" <andreasat_private>

    The exploit does work!  It is not easy to execute however, (thank goodness)  It
    took me several tries on OpenBSD 2.8

    It is all about timing.

    > The OpenBSD-team has known about this for -6- days (15th of June),

    They knew about it a lot longer than that!  There was a post before guninski's
    about it that never developed into a thread for some reason.  My reply to it was
    rejected!

    > and they haven't been able to come up with atleast a temporary fix?
    > I can't find anything on errdata / security warnings,
    > what's up with that?

    It been fixed the patch is available.

    ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/patches/2.8/common/030_kernexec.patch"