Re: The Dangers of Allowing Users to Post Images

From: Henrik Nordstrom (hnoat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 06:44:10 PDT

    peterwat_private wrote:

    > Folks are missing the point on the Referer check that I suggested.

    I intentionally selected to not go down that path in my message as there
    are quite a bit of pitfalls with Referer, and it can easily be
    misunderstood allowing the application designer falsely think they have
    done a secure design using Referer.

    Also, as shown earlier in the thread, using Referer may render the
    service less useful for some people. There are people who filter out
    Referer from their HTTP traffic becuase there is too many bugs in
    user-agents showing Referer to things it should not expose externally.

    Referer is meant to be a statistics & diagnostics tool allowing you to
    find how your site is referenced, not a security measure. Because of
    this is is not a required property of HTTP that there is a Referer
    header when the user follows a link or submits a form.

    --
    Henrik Nordstrom
    Squid HTTP proxy developer