Re: pam session

From: Pawel Krawczyk (kravietzat_private)
Date: Sat Jun 23 2001 - 01:13:41 PDT

    On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 03:11:02AM +0200, Christian Kraemer wrote:

    > This is espacially anoying if you
    > use pam_limits.so to set rlimits. Every user could
    > cirrcumvent them easily by calling ssh in this way:
    > ssh user@server /bin/sh

    The same problem was present in SSH 1.2.x some time ago and I've created a
    patch to fix it (http://ceti.pl/~kravietz/prog.html).

    PAM session start had to be called from two procedures (one for
    interactive, one for non-interactive login), and then closed. The latter
    required keeping session state in some variable all over the login time
    and it created several problems how to do this in a nice and secure way.

    In general, using the PAM session management required much more effort
    than other authentication methods and it was simply skipped by the
    developers. However, I don't remember exact details and many things could
    have changed in recent PAM versions.