Re: [RHSA-2001:078-05] Format string bug fixed

From: Petri Kaukasoina (kaukasoiat_private)
Date: Mon Jun 25 2001 - 22:26:44 PDT

    On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 02:02:23PM -0700, helmut g. katzgraber wrote:
    > has the rpm offered on the lprng site also the same problems as the redhat
    > one (advisory RHSA-2001:077-05)?

    According to the redhat advisory, the problem is:

    "LPRng fails to drop supplemental group membership at init time, though it
    does properly setuid and setgid. The result is that LPRng, and its children,
    maintain any supplemental groups that the process starting LPRng had at the
    time it started LPRng. This is a security risk."

    root is the only one that can start lpd in the first place. So I guess in
    redhat root belongs to some supplemental groups. If this is the case, I
    would just remove root from all the supplemental groups in /etc/groups.