cesarFTP v0.98b 'HELP' buffer overflow

From: ByteRage (byterageat_private)
Date: Sat Jun 30 2001 - 02:36:21 PDT

    DESCRIPTION

    CesarFTP v0.98b is vulnerable to a buffer overflow
    when sending the HELP command followed by a very long
    string of characters.

    Example : Sending the following perl string :

    "HELP " . ("A" x 1978) . "CCCC\x00\x0D\x0A"

    Happily reroutes the SERVER.EXE EIP to 43434343
    ("CCCC"). This way, anyone can easily compromise the
    win9x/NT/2k system, without the need to be logged in.
    The only tricky part in writing the exploit is that
    SERVER.EXE doesn't have LoadLibraryA & GetProcAddress
    in it's import table, but there are enough other
    functions that give away enough power to take over the
    computer (registry functions, CreateDirectoryA,
    CreateFileA, ReadFile, WriteFile, ShellExecuteA, ...)
    I have not written an exploit and probably I never
    will :)

    VENDOR STATUS

    I have sent this advisory to <cesarftpat_private>

    greetz,
    [ByteRage] <byterageat_private> byterage.cjb.net