Re: Vulnerability: CylantSecure

From: Timothy Lawless (lawlessat_private)
Date: Sat Jun 30 2001 - 09:32:52 PDT

    On Fri, 29 Jun 2001, Juergen Pabel wrote:

    -->CylantSecure is a kernel patch and system that analyses behavior and kills
    -->programs that deviates from the "normal" system behaviour. The
    -->vulnerability lies in the processessing delay that occurs between a process
    -->violating some security rule and the actual killing of the process (a user
    -->space analyser). By inserting a module (which in itself is a violation, but
    -->due to the mentioned delay it suceeds) that reroutes function pointers the
    -->system can effectively be disabled. The vulnerability exists in
    -->CylantSecure 1.1 and earlier (the Cylant Team has been notified and is
    -->working on a fix).

    Attacks against the cylent secure kernel modules is a known issue.

    I belive the first refrence I personally saw to such an attack
    is describe in an article at:
    http://www.securitynewsportal.com/article.php?sid=220

    From the posting it seems that the anonymous poster was aware,
    and took for granted the delayed detection.

    -->
    -->Attached is an exploit for this vulnerability.
    -->
    -->Juergen Pabel
    -->juergenat_private
    -->