Re: [COVERT-2001-04] Vulnerability in Oracle 8i TNS Listener

From: Jair Pedro (jairat_private)
Date: Fri Jul 06 2001 - 15:24:04 PDT

    After reading the article, I went to oracle to download the patch and was
    very surprised that in order do download the patch I would have to Pay!!! To
    access the restrict area where I could get the patches I would have to had a
    contract with them, which costs about 22% of the licence I already have.

    I tried to explain them by phone and email that was not my fault the fact
    that their product had this serious security flaw and all they said was
    their assistance in free basis was only during the first 3 months after
    install and "you would have a lot of  advantages signing our support
    services".
    I dont want support as far we have almost half a ton of books on our
    development department and all the news group on the internet...

    There is nothing I can do now, except to pay to correct their very own
    error, but, on my company,  I do not intend to deploy any others product
    which similiar politic$ for patches.

    The next time we need a database, it will not be an Oracle.
    I'd like to hear from the list if there are others companies/products with
    such an absurd policy.

    tks

    Jair