Re: [COVERT-2001-04] Vulnerability in Oracle 8i TNS Listener

From: ian stanley (iandstanleyat_private)
Date: Fri Jul 13 2001 - 08:47:57 PDT

    On Friday 06 July 2001 23:24, Jair Pedro wrote:
    > After reading the article, I went to oracle to download the patch and was
    > very surprised that in order do download the patch I would have to Pay!!!
    > To access the restrict area where I could get the patches I would have to
    > had a contract with them, which costs about 22% of the licence I already
    > have.
    >
    > I tried to explain them by phone and email that was not my fault the fact
    > that their product had this serious security flaw and all they said was
    > their assistance in free basis was only during the first 3 months after
    > install and "you would have a lot of  advantages signing our support
    > services".

    Depending on your country of origin - you could have some consumer protection.

    eg.  in the UK  you would probably be supported by /the sale of goods act/
    in as much as the security of the product ought to be considered critical
    to  the enterprise concerned - and thus the product be /unfit for the purpose
    intended/.   Never mind the fact that they may have shipped faulty goods.

    Even the possibility of a potential court case being filed against oracle
    based ont he being unfit for the purpose - would be rather embarrasing for
    oracle.