RE: Small TCP packets == very large overhead == DoS?

From: Franck Martin (franckat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 23:32:45 PDT

    Please note that about 5% of the machines out there do not understand an
    MTU different than 1500, because some firewalls blocks all ICMP packets
    instead of sending back the ICMP packet with the recommended MTU.

    I explain further.

    You have a client machine A, a router A with MTU 576, another router B,
    a firewall B and a web server B with MTU 1500 and MTU discovery.

    You request a page to server B, server B send the packet with more than
    576 bytes and the don't fragment flag. Router A drop the packet and send
    back an ICMP packet back to server B with the MTU required to pass
    router A.  Firewall B drops the ICMP packet. Server B does not learn
    that his packet nver reached.

    The case is true if router A drop the packet and don't send an ICMP. We
    have a black hole router.

    Do not filter all ICMP packets!

    In NT you can enable BlackHole router discovery (cf below)

    Cheers.

    On 09 Jul 2001 08:49:37 -0700, David LeBlanc wrote:
    > EnablePMTUDiscovery     REG_DWORD     0 | 1
    >
    > Default: 1
    >
    > Determines whether TCP uses a fixed, default maximum transmission unit
    (MTU)
    > or attempts to detect the actual MTU.
    >
    > Value Meaning
    > 0     TCP uses an MTU of 576 bytes for all connections to computers
    outside the
    > local subnet.
    > 1     TCP attempts to discover the MTU of the path to a remote host.
    > By discovering the Path MTU and limiting TCP segments to this size,
    TCP can