Re: Messenger/Hotmail passwords at risk

From: Gaurav Agarwal (gaurav_11878at_private)
Date: Tue Jul 10 2001 - 21:26:29 PDT

    > On Mon, 9 Jul 2001, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:
    >
    > > Uh huh.  So you are saying that, given MD5(password), password may be
    > > recovered by brute force.  And this is new/interesting in what way?
    >
    > The interesting thing is he can (allegedly) do it at 2.5e6 tries/second on
    > an affordable machine. Being able to exhaust all combinations of 8 digits
    > and lowercase letters within 2 weeks makes such an attack much more
    > practical.

    The claim that he makes is surely interesting. I tried running the md5crack
    on my system which is a linux6.1 Intel pentium 3 733 MHz and I was able to
    get around 1/100 of what he claims. Although he uses a 1GHz AMD can the
    performances be so different ???
    Also the complexity of the problem increases exponentially as you start
    increasing the number of possible characters in your passwords. For instance
    for {a-Z,a-z,0-9} the crack takes 900 odd days and if you also included
    other special symbols then it would be even higher and seeing the rate at
    which it ran on my computer (1/100 of his claims) the attack would become
    quite impractical.

    Gaurav...

    Microsoft--http://www.vcnet.com/bms ]