Re: Win2K/NTFS messes file creation time/date

From: Gerald Carter (gcarterat_private)
Date: Sun Jul 15 2001 - 20:12:14 PDT

    On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Acryl wrote:

    > I accidently stumbled accross this error when I made a program of mine
    > create 3 text files containing different debug output. My explorer is
    > set to detailed view showing: Creation time/date, Last modification
    > time/date and last access time/date. This way the bug I'll describe is
    > easy to recognize so I'd recommend setting it to the same properties
    > when trying to reproduce this.
    >
    > When I ran my program the very first time it created the 3 text files
    > and set all of the 3 values properly as the should. After viewing the
    > files I deleted them (Shift + Del) by hand and reran the program.
    > Again the 3 files were created, but the Creation time/date was set
    > wrong, namely it was set to the very first creation time ( before I
    > deleted them by hand ). Any following runs of the program produced the
    > same results.

    This is known behavior.  There is a window during which the "sticky"
    behavior will occur. In fact, certain MS apps (e.g. Word) rely upon this
    behavior.

    cheers, jerry
     http://www.valinux.com/     VA Linux Systems      gcarterat_private
     http://www.samba.org/          SAMBA Team             jerryat_private