AW: Windows MS-DOS Device Name DoS vulnerabilities

From: Martin Werner (bugtraqat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 03:30:59 PDT

    Just want to give a new thought.

    Fact is, that on the one hand side, its merely impossible to write an safe
    ftp server using Microsofts Filesystem, because device names can cause
    trouble (and I think, this is not a bug, but it's been discussed)

    So I think, good coding practice is not using a function, you cannot be sure
    to work (noticed the incompatiblilities between different versions of
    windows etc.)

    In such a situation, the only safe thing one can do, is to

    a) change the whole behaviour of windows causing immense trouble porting
    applications.

    or better take it in your own hand.

    I think, that one has to write a flatfile engine, the faster, the better,
    that works with ! ! one ! file in the windows filesystem with a name, the
    coder choses and thinks to be secure. It could be a good open source
    project, to write a filesystem, that can be put into a binary file on any
    platform. A great step in compatibility between systems.

    Keep on testing software!

    Martin Werner

    P.S. Feel free to contact me at:

    www.martinwerner.de