RE: Windows MS-DOS Device Name DoS vulnerabilities

From: David LeBlanc (dleblancat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 12:26:09 PDT

    I beg to differ. First, let's distinguish between file systems. If you say
    that it wouldn't be advisable to write a FTP server designed to run on FAT
    file systems, then I'd be inclined to agree. You can, OTOH, do a lot of work
    to re-implement file system security sufficient for a FTP server and be OK.

    Now, on to the issue with device names - this isn't all that terribly
    difficult, and is part of proper file canonicalization practices. A call to
    CreateFile() on a device name will always succeed (or possibly blow up an
    unpatched Win9x system, so go get the patch or consider running your FTP
    server on NT or Win2k). Next, a call to GetFileInformationByHandle() will
    always fail if it is a device. GetFileType() can also be used to determine
    whether something is a device.

    David LeBlanc
    dleblancat_private