RE: W2k: Unkillable Applications

From: Snow, Corey (CSNOWat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 11:43:20 PDT

    n response to this and a couple of questions and points raised off-list I
    tried my test with a few more variables.

    First, using the "-f" option to kill.exe (which is "force process kill")
    does cause the untimely death of the real winlogon.exe process, to the
    obvious detriment of the system it used to be running on. :) My Win2K Server
    (SP1) spontaneously rebooted about a minute later with no warnings.

    Second, rebuilding the original test app, which is simply a VC++ 6.0
    template project- the "Hello World" Win32 app- using the internal name
    'NetDDE Agent' did not change anything. Using kill without -f produced the
    same results; namely that the "fake" process would be killed and the "real"
    process would not be, although the kill utility would claim it had.

    Third, the results appear to be the same regardless of whether one is using
    a debug or release build of the application (probably not even relevant, but
    I figured I'd include it).

    I haven't tried this test on a system where I don't have Debug privileges
    (SeDebugPrivilege) on the machine in question. I know that "kill" will not
    work using an account without debug privileges. I imagine the same
    restriction is the case for utilities like pskill and other third-party
    utilities.

    The original poster's point about trojans being named using these
    quasi-protected names is a good one, I think. Not only is it more difficult
    to kill these processes, even for someone knowldegeable, it is probably
    downright impossible for someone without debug privilege, or even with debug
    privilege without a debugger or appropriate utility (kill.exe is not part of
    Win2K off the shelf, but rather a component of the Win2K resource kit).
    Also, most users don't have a debugger installed, even if they have debug
    privileges.

    With all that said, I'm also not sure if there is a good fix to this issue.
    Certainly, Task Manager should be fixed to not use such comparisons on the
    process name, because any ACLs on the process are still in effect, as
    pointed out by the original poster. Would it be a good idea, I wonder, to
    update WinNT/2K to not allow processes to start with these "special" names
    other than its own? That comes with its own set of problems, I imagine.

    Best regards,

    Corey M. Snow- csnowat_private
    Senior Web Developer, Washington Dental Service
    (206) 528-7361, Mobile (360) 481-2563
    FAX: (206) 985-4939 Web: http://www.deltadentalwa.com
    "Wind the frog!"- Woody