Re: W2k: Unkillable Applications

From: Alun Jones (alunat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 12:11:26 PDT

    At 11:58 AM 7/17/2001, Chris Adams wrote:
    >on 2001-07-17 09:20, Justin Nelson at securityat_private wrote:
    > > Under Windows 2000 Pro, I made a copy of "notepad.exe" renamed to
    > > "winlogon.exe", and could not kill it via the Task Manager. Both the 'kill'
    > > command and the VC++ debugger were able to kill it.
    >
    >Task Manager is really inconsistent - I renamed a copy of notepad to
    >winlogon.exe. If I start it and try to kill it through the "Applications"
    >tab of the task manager, it will be killed as normal. If I try to kill it
    >through the "Processes" tab, task manager won't let me.

    The answer here is that the "End Task" button on the "Applications" tab
    tries to send a WM_QUIT message to the foreground window.  The "End
    Process" (note the different name) button on the "Processes" tab calls
    TerminateProcess() on the process.

    Task Manager _is_ being consistent - it's just that you don't seem to
    understand the difference between "Tasks" / "Applications" (really just
    windows with no parent) and "Processes" (which are true processes).

    Alun.
    ~~~~

    --
    Texas Imperial Software   | Try WFTPD, the Windows FTP Server. Find us at
    1602 Harvest Moon Place   | http://www.wftpd.com or email alunat_private