Re: W2k: Unkillable Applications

From: Chris Adams (chrisat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 09:58:40 PDT

    on 2001-07-17 09:20, Justin Nelson at securityat_private wrote:

    >> cannot confirm that. I renamed one of my applications to
    >> Winlogon.exe and succeeded to kill it without any problem
    >> with taskmanager.
    >
    > Under Windows 2000 Pro, I made a copy of "notepad.exe" renamed to
    > "winlogon.exe", and could not kill it via the Task Manager. Both the 'kill'
    > command and the VC++ debugger were able to kill it.

    Task Manager is really inconsistent - I renamed a copy of notepad to
    winlogon.exe. If I start it and try to kill it through the "Applications"
    tab of the task manager, it will be killed as normal. If I try to kill it
    through the "Processes" tab, task manager won't let me.

    I might be worth seeing exactly what triggers this behaviour in the task
    manager - the application tab might have a different filtering criteria
    (e.g. is it strictly ACL-based or might it be looking at something like the
    original filename attribute in the exe header?). In any case, a malicious
    attacker could simply make a program which doesn't open a window, which
    would cause it not to show up in the Applications tab.