RE: long filename issue in Win9x

From: Rubio Xavier (xavier.rubio@colt-telecom.es)
Date: Wed Jul 18 2001 - 22:02:21 PDT

    This also is due Windows allowing the two forms, and trying multiple
    filenames when there aren't quotes: it will try C:\Program.EXE, then
    C:\Program Files\IrresponsibleProgrammingCorp\someBinary.exe.

    > In that key, then everything is copasetic. However, if the entry looks
    > like this, without quotes:
    >
    > C:\Program Files\IrresponsibleProgrammingCorp\someBinary.exe
    >
    > Then the system will interpret this string as two strings: "C:\Program"
    > and "Files\IrresponsibleProgrammingCorp\someBinary.exe". The first will
    > match your rogue executable, and the other will simply fail, and you
    > might get an error message.
    >
    > Note that (1) there are more locations than the one I listed above where
    > this can happen, and (2) if you are concerned about users putting rogue
    > executables into your %systemdrive% (which you should be) you should ACL
    > that directory so that they cannot do so.
    >
    > Jesper M. Johansson

    COLT Telecom Espana S.A.
    Oficina Registrada en: Telemaco, 5 28027 Madrid
    Tel. +34 91 789 9000

    relationship between COLT Telecommunications, its subsidiaries or
    affiliates ("COLT") and you. Internet communications are not secure
    and therefore COLT does not accept legal responsibility for the
    contents of this message.  Any view or opinions expressed are those of
    the author. The message is intended for the addressee only and its
    contents and any attached files are strictly confidential. If you have
    received it in error, please telephone the number above. Thank you.