RE: 'Code Red' does not seem to be scanning for IIS

From: Kelly Martin (kellymat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 15:21:06 PDT

    Our principal web server (which services some 50-odd virtual domains) has
    taken over 500 hits from "Code Red" worms since around 10am today.  It runs
    Apache, so it doesn't present a security risk, but it is tending to annoy
    our already-overloaded network pipe (we have four Class C's squeezed into
    one T1 line).  Prior to today at around 11am there is no record in our
    logfiles for that server, which go back to 10 July.

    Our servers all started to see hits at about the same time, around 10 am
    central time.  Two of them, NT 4.0 SP6a systems with IIS 5, died, one
    repeatedly, before we figured out what was going on.  The attacks come from
    widely variable hosts (no discernable pattern).  I've tracked nearly a
    thousand hits on our IP block in the past six hours or so with none before
    that, and that doesn't even count the ones that smacked silently against the
    firewall (port 80 is only open through the firewall to hosts that actually
    run public web servers, which is only a tiny fraction of the IPs in the
    block).

    My cable modem has also started to get hit today, for the first time as far
    as I know, as has our off-site ecommerce server.  I suspect that this is a
    fresh launch, possibly with a modified code base from the original Red Code
    worm.

    Kelly Martin
    American Farm Bureau Federation