Re(2): 'Code Red' does not seem to be scanning for IIS

From: Ken Eichman (keichmanat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 16:15:32 PDT

    I can correlate what Kelly reports -- *something* happened between 14-1500 GMT
    today to drastically increase the number of 'code red' scans/infections. I've
    been tracking them since Saturday on my IDS. Our class-b address space appears
    to be high up on the worms scanning pattern. For all of 7/18 I recorded probes
    from 8247 unique host IP addresses, presumably compromised with 'code red'.
    Just during the 1900GMT hour today - one hour of logs - I recorded 'code red'
    hits from 115124 different IP addresses. All of these probes are bouncing off
    our firewall. The drastic increase in infections/probes began between 1300-
    1400 GMT today and *seemed* to start leveling off around 1600-1700 GMT.

    Ken Eichman                  Senior Security Engineer
    Chemical Abstracts Service   Tel:   (614) 447-3838 ext 3230
    2540 Olentangy River Road    Fax:   (614) 447-3855
    Columbus, OH 43210           Email: keichmanat_private