RE: 'Code Red' does not seem to be scanning for IIS

From: Tony Langdon (tlangdonat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 16:09:24 PDT

    > From what i read about the 'Code Red'-worm, it was supposed
    > to be scanning
    > for IIS-servers. It obviously is'nt, i believe it tries to infect
    > everything they find on port 80, or something as simple as that.

    I suspect you're right.  I've noticed exploit attempts on all web servers
    here, but only one of them is running IIS.  The IDS has been monitoring a
    rapid increase in IIS related attacks, which are presumably related to this
    worm.  It started about 2-3 days ago, but the last 24 hours have been
    particularly intense.  It's certainly not picky about what servers it will
    try and attack (though I can't see the exploits succeeding on the UNIX
    Apache servers ;) ).

    > About three to four days ago, i started to get those
    > default.ida-GET's in
    > my Apache-logs. I shut down the server as fast as i could,
    > and checked for
    > outgoing connections from my computer, and then did some research.
    > I was told that it was an IIS-worm, and that it could'nt affect
    > Apache-servers, so i was safe. I turned the server back on,
    > and from that
    > day i have received forty-one attempts.

    I've had a lot more than 41.  Every attempt is logged and archived here.