Re: 'Code Red' does not seem to be scanning for IIS

From: George William Herbert (gherbertat_private)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 11:13:10 PDT

    Ryan wrote:
    >Mike Brockman wrote:
    >> >From what i read about the 'Code Red'-worm, it was supposed to be scanning
    >> for IIS-servers. It obviously is'nt, i believe it tries to infect
    >> everything they find on port 80, or something as simple as that.
    >
    >Run nc -l -p 80 > worm, and you'll get a copy.  It's not scanning
    >in any sense, it just tries a connect, and sends the string.

    An anonymous chat room contact yesterday told me they'd had
    success linking default.ida to their kernel; the worm always
    seemed to abort its attack after something like 32k of stuff
    was shoved down the pipe from thier Linux/Apache server.
    They hypothesized it was causing a buffer overrun in the
    worm code.

    After hearing that, I dropped a copy of Shakespeare's
    "Much Ado About Nothing" into htdocs/default.ida on
    my system and snooped the net a while.  I got one more
    connect attempt from the worm and it seemed to have dropped
    its connection after something like 30k of data flowed back,
    but I was unable to tell what happened at the far end.
    I only was able to watch one event happen.

    I've reviewed the eEye analysis and concluded I don't know
    enough assembly to tell whether it appears to work that way,
    and I don't have an IIS system to use as a testbed.  Can someone
    who's got a better handle on how the virus' internals are
    behaving take a look and confirm or deny that this is an
    effective prophylactic measure?

    -george william herbert
    gherbertat_private