"Code Red" worm - there MUST be at least two versions.

From: Chris Paget (mad.nutterat_private)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 09:30:16 PDT

    I have two different webservers, each of which has been logging
    infrequent attempts from the Code Red worm to attack it (each box has
    so far received around 20 such attacks since 18/07/01).  Both are
    immune to it (one has been patched, and the other has the .ida mapping
    removed).  The two servers are using completely different addresses on
    completely different subnets.

    Comparing the logfiles for each server, it is clear that no single IP
    address has attacked both servers.

    If the only "wild" version of Code Red effectively has a hard-coded
    sequence of addresses to attack (due to the fixed randomisation seed),
    one server must necessarily be attacked before the other.  Therefore,
    it would follow that both logs should contain the same IP Addresses,
    with some time difference between them (unless one or other server has
    had downtime, which they have not).  This is not the case.

    The only conclusion is that there is another version of the "Code Red"
    worm in the wild, which has a correct randomisation routine (and
    possibly other differences).

    The GET request logged by the second worm variant is as follows:

    GET /default.ida
    NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN%u9090%u6858%ucbd3%u7801%u9090%u6858%ucbd3%u7801%u9090%u6858%ucbd3%u7801%u9090%u9090%u8190%u00c3%u0003%u8b00%u531b%u53ff%u0078%u0000%u00=a

    Firstly, can someone confirm whether this is the same as the GET
    request logged by the hard-coded worm?

    Secondly, can someone capture a copy of this second variant and
    dis-assemble it?

    I intend to add egress filters to one of my servers and allow it to
    become infected; if anyone wants to volunteer to help me pick it apart
    afterwards it would be appreciated.

    Chris

    --
    Chris Paget