Re(2): Re(2): 'Code Red' does not seem to be scanning for IIS

From: Ken Eichman (keichmanat_private)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 08:57:35 PDT

    I can't argue with your statistical analysis but since CNet used my
    stats for that chart I have to disagree here. If you look at the bigger
    picture, the rate of growth since this worm was apparently released on
    7/13 (chart below), it was more or less a linear growth pattern until
    approximately the 1400 GMT timeframe on the 19th, and in fact up until
    then the growth rate appeared to have leveled off. Daily stats from my
    IDS of apparent 'code red' scans:

    Date     # Worm Probes    # Unique Source Addr's  # Unique Source Addr's
    			   Probing (For the Day)   Probing (Cumulative)
    -----    -------------    ----------------------  ----------------------
    07/13          611                 27                      27
    07/14        36273               1076                    1079
    07/15       215020               3498                    3641
    07/16       316828               6137                    7146
    07/17       316359               7189                   10212
    07/18       294345               8247                   13866
    07/19      4080321             272052                  279911

    By the way for today as reported by others, my numbers have dropped off
    dramatically.

    > From: "Phillip Reed" <PReedat_private>
    > Looking at the infected population chart as published on C|Net, I have to
    > say that the dramatic increase looks exactly like the classical "knee" in a
    > exponential growth curve. In fact, the entire curve looks like a standard
    > infection "population vs. time" graph, with the upper end fall-off due to
    > the saturation of the available uninfected population. No nefarious
    > modifications are needed here to explain the sudden surge.
    >
    > For entertainment value, try creating a chart (I used Excel), plotting
    > y=x^9. Then look at the curve. The knee starts around x=20 or 21, and the
    > value takes off from there. No modifications needed.
    >
    >>I can correlate what Kelly reports -- *something* happened between 14-1500 GMT
    >>today to drastically increase the number of 'code red' scans/infections. I'VE
    >>been tracking them since Saturday on my IDS. Our class-b address space appears
    >>to be high up on the worms scanning pattern. For all of 7/18 I recorded probes
    >>from 8247 unique host IP addresses, presumably compromised with 'code red'
    >>Just during the 1900GMT hour today - one hour of logs - I recorded 'code red'
    >>hits from 115124 different IP addresses. All of these probes are bouncing off
    >>our firewall. The drastic increase in infections/probes began between 1300-
    >>1400 GMT today and *seemed* to start leveling off around 1600-1700 GMT.
    >
    > Phillip C. Reed
    > Network Administration - Cincinnati
    >
    > Eviciti
    > 1148 Main St., 4th floor
    > Cincinnati, OH 45210
    > (513) 929-0785 x218
    > http://www.eviciti.com
    > mailto:preedat_private

    Ken Eichman                  Senior Security Engineer
    Chemical Abstracts Service   Tel:   (614) 447-3838 ext 3230
    2540 Olentangy River Road    Fax:   (614) 447-3855
    Columbus, OH 43210           Email: keichmanat_private