RE: Mitigating some of the effects of the Code Red worm

From: Linda Custer (custerat_private)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 12:42:05 PDT

    Microsoft has been so good about locking people out of using Windows XP
    and Office XP if they don't activate their product.  How about locking
    people out of using IIS if they don't keep their patches up to date.
    Microsoft has the technology to expire unpatched versions, say, every
    30-to-60 days.  These computers would then revert to "reduced
    functionality" mode where they couldn't connect to the Internet.