RE: RED-CODE WORM PATCH possibly not working ????

From: Steve Halford (shalfordat_private)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 15:10:41 PDT

    On Friday, July 20, 2001 5:36 tigerblue wrote

    > i have got some IIS4-and some IIS5-servers. I was checking the logfiles =
    > to get a short info about the red-code worm. The IIS4-servers were =
    > respondig to the get default.ida with a http 40x code, but the IIS5 on =
    > w2k machines were all responding with an http 200 code. Hmmm strange =
    > =B4cause all the servers have been patched in the last month against =
    > this idq-vulnerability (MS01-033).
    >
    > I=B4m really a wondering, is it normal, that the w2k servers reponding =
    > with an 200-Code or is mabe the patch not working at all... does anybody =
    > had this effect ????

    The 404 code will return only when you have ida mapping disabled. The patch
    fixes the buffer overrun problem; it does not disable the mapping. To test
    for whether the patch is applied, you should look at the file date of the
    idq.dll; if it is 5/24/2001, the patch has been applied.

    Steve Halford
    shalfordat_private