RE: Firewall-1 Information leak

From: MALIN, ALEX (PB) (am7861at_private)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 16:50:01 PDT

    SecuRemote works with 2 FireWall-1 encryption schemes, FWZ and IKE. Here's
    my reading on it. If you use IKE, you MUST deselect "respond to
    unauthenticated topology requests." However, if you use FWZ, CheckPoint
    recommends that you select "respond to unauthenticated topology requests."
    As the previous posting describes, you can work around this by placing
    topology information in users' userc.C files.

    Why might anybody use FWZ (CheckPoint's propriatary encryption scheme),
    rather than IKE? It's inherently less secure, as it can't use IPSec tunnel
    mode. As I see it, there's a genaral problem with using firewalls for
    encryption gateways. You don't want to tie up your gateway with all the
    processing and memory usage that VPN devices require. CheckPoint seems to
    have built a client-to-site VPN that is designed to reduce some of the
    performace hit on the firewall. What you end up with, I think, is a kind of
    security "lite." A little less data security (especially if you make
    topology requests available to anybody with the SecuRemote client software).
    But you can keep more encrypted data sessions going simultaneously.

    Alex Malin