Re: permission probs with Arkeia

From: Phil Stracchino (alaricat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 23 2001 - 15:00:59 PDT

    On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 01:16:15PM -0500, Daniel Wittenberg wrote:
    > While working with the commercial version of Arkeia backup software I
    > noticed it creates most of it's "database" files with the permissions of
    > 666.  This was version 4.2.8-2 of the server, and I had noticed this several
    > updates ago, so it's been going on for some time.  The database files are
    > located in /usr/knox/arkeia/dbase.  I have tried resetting the permissions
    > on the files, but they get reset again when backup runs again.  I tried
    > contacting Knox Software but was told more than once that basically I don't
    > have a support contract so they wouldn't talk to me - they were warned.  I
    > wasn't able to find anything about this in their documentation.

    IMHO, this is almost the least of Arkeia's problems, having repeatedly
    tried very hard to work with Arkeia in the past and eventually given up on
    it in complete disgust.

    This particular problem can be, perhaps not eliminated, but at least
    ameliorated by setting the ownership and rights of /usr/knox and/or
    /usr/knox/arkeia such that only your arkeia administrators have directory
    read/execute privileges.  If an unprivileged user cannot browse the
    directory tree to gain access to the arkeia/dbase tree, even knowing that
    the files are there and world-writeable does him little good.

    --
     Linux Now!   ..........Because friends don't let friends use Microsoft.
     phil stracchino   --   the renaissance man   --   mystic zen biker geek