Re: Telnetd AYT overflow scanner

From: Martin Elster (melsterat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 25 2001 - 12:54:30 PDT

    I tried this scanner on my Win2K SP2 box, and it crashed the native telnet
    server (not the Telnet server provided with Services for Unix).

    After a quick check it seems that this is unrelated to the recently
    published Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-039
    (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/TechNet/security
    /bulletin/MS01-039.asp).

    Cut from the bulletin:
    ------------------
    Does this vulnerability affect the Telnet server that ships in Windows NT
    4.0 or Windows 2000?

    No. Both Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000 ship with a native Telnet server,
    which is completely different from the one included in SFU 2.0. Neither are
    affected by this vulnerability.

    ---------------------

    So it seems that there is a new DOS here, unless I'm badly mistaken. I don't
    know whether it is possible to exploit this to get any privileges on the
    system.

    BTW, I also tried this overflow scanner on a Mandrake 8.0 Linux box, running
    telnet-server-0.17-7mdk, and the scanner reported this as vulnerable too.
    Running the original exploit from scut didn't work though, but I've only
    given it a quick test.

    Anyone else have any info on this bug being exploitable on linux systems?

    Cheers,

    Martin