RE: hacker copyrights was [RE: telnetd exploit code]

From: Eric D. Williams (ericat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 25 2001 - 20:40:49 PDT

    On Wednesday, July 25, 2001 9:08 PM, Greg A. Woods [SMTP:woodsat_private]
    wrote:
    > [ On Wednesday, July 25, 2001 at 20:27:51 (-0400), Eric D. Williams wrote: ]
    > > Subject: RE: hacker copyrights was [RE: telnetd exploit code]
    > >
    > > With all do respect it is clear the case especially the Godwin ref. are not
    > > directly material to the issue / topic here but rather the application of
    > > the principles herein as you discussed.
    >
    > Well I see the Godwin article as primarily discussing whether or not
    > crackers can get in trouble by publishing some document that they find
    > through their (illegal) efforts, and as such only marginally applicable
    > to the quite opposite question posed here.

    I agree.

    > > I am not clear on what your allusion to  self-propagating worm is here,
    > > I believe this thread started where a question was asked whether
    > > a cracker would be protected from scrutiny by copyright.
    >
    > The question that opened this thread, IIRC, was asking whether or not
    > someone publishing an analysis of a worm or virus would be violating the
    > copyright of worm/virus author.  The original question also asked if the
    > worm/virus code could be shared.

    I concur, and an additional question was posed as a hypothetical:
    On Tuesday, July 24, 2001 5:22 PM, Aaron Silver [SMTP:asilverat_private] wrote:
     "...I have a machine that has had some hacker code placed
     on it. I didn't authorize it to be placed on there... Am I to be denied
     investigating this code (and sharing it with others to help me investigate)
     because someone placed a copyright notice on the code."

    I broadened the hypothetical by inferring that the 'hacker code' was placed or
    'created' on said machine and it was discovered subsequent to the
    intrusion with a copyright notice in source as in the message from this list.

    The anti-scrutiny argument was bolstered by the argument of one poster saying:

    On Tuesday, July 24, 2001 11:38 AM, Sebastian [SMTP:scutat_private-berlin.de]