Re: UDP packet handling weird behaviour of various operating systems

From: Stefan Laudat (stefanat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 25 2001 - 15:43:37 PDT

    > Uh-huh. Tested it on Linux 2.2 and 2.4, can't confirm the problem. It
    > would be pretty strange, btw, since it simply generates normal UDP packet,
    > no black magic, really, and remote system, unless there's comast service
    > running, politely responds with 'ICMP destination port unreachable', which
    > is translated into 'Connection refused'.

    Hmm. How many seconds did you actually run that?

    > Nothing magic about its behavior:

    Did I mentioned it's magic? Guess not :-/

    > Maybe there's comsat service running? Or you made system too busy handling
    > I/O by flooding using 1 Gbit (I doubt it)...

    As I said, NO.

    > Windows are usually impacted by high-ratio packet floods.

    Not this time.

    > I believe you are actually testing link layer performance, PCI bus speed
    > and network cards, not operating systems ;)

    Believe it or not, I got a OpenBSD-2.9 current hanged up out there.
    I'll test further systems.
    What amazed me was different types of system reaction with different
    drivers at different links.

    --
    Stefan Laudat
    CCNA,CCAI