RE: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-040

From: Microsoft Security Response Center (secureat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 17:26:26 PDT

    Hi Paul -

    There are several issues here, some of which relate to the mailer, some
    of which involve Microsoft's signing process, and some of which involve
    how the PGP product works.  I'll do my best to explain what's happening,
    but if you have questions about using PGP, Network Associates is really
    the authoritative information source.

    The signature status and the key validity are two different issues
    entirely.  The signature status ("good" in your note below) means that
    the signature was successfully verified.  This tells you that the email
    hasn't been tampered with in transit, and that the public key you used
    to verify it is the mate to the private key that was used to sign it.
    What this does *not* tell you is whether the key is actually the
    Microsoft key -- that's what the validitor indicator tells you.  In the
    case you cited below, the validity indicator ("invalid") means that PGP
    couldn't certify that the key actually is the Microsoft key.  There's a
    fine shade of meaning here that's very important.  "Invalid" doesn't
    mean that the key isn't the Microsoft, only that PGP couldn't confirm
    that it's the Microsoft key.  PGP assesses the validity of a key by
    seeing whether anyone you trust has vouched for its authenticity by
    signing it.  In this case, it says that the key is invalid because
    nobody you trust has signed it.

    As you noted, there are two signatures on the key.  One is a
    self-signature; the other belongs to a group called MS-CERT.  Because
    you don't have MS-CERT's key in your keyring, its signature on the key
    is meaningless -- it doesn't have any bearing on the key's validity one
    way or the other.  We don't ask other parties to sign our key because
    there are over 150,000 subscribers to our notification service, and it's
    unlikely that there is a key (or even a reasonable set of keys) that is
    trusted by all of them.  Instead, we provide a different way to validate
    that you've downloaded the bona fide Microsoft key.  You can download
    the key via an SSL session, and when downloading the key you can check
    the certificate to confirm that you're actually at the Microsoft web
    site.  After downloading it, you can check the key's fingerprint against
    the one posted on the download page and confirm that they're the same.
    (BTW, you're right that the page on the mailer is currently returning an
    error.  We're working to get it returned to service, but in the meantime
    an alternative URL is
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/notify.asp).

    Because the validity assessment from PGP is based on whether someone you
    trust has signed the key, you can, if you like, make the key valid by
    signing it yourself.  However, there's no requirement to do this -- PGP
    doesn't require that the be shown as valid in order to use it to verify
    the signature.  If you do decide to sign the key, you should only do so
    after confirming via one of the methods above that it really is the
    Microsoft key.  Don't simply sign the key in order to make the error
    message go away.

    You're right that the name on the signing key (secureat_private) is
    different from the address that sent the email (secnotifat_private).
    However, this has nothing to do with whether the signature can be
    verified, nor does it have anything to do with PGP's validity
    assessment.  When verifying the signature, PGP selects the right key in
    your keyring based on the name associated with the signing key.  The
    "from" address on the email doesn't play any part in verifying the
    signature.  We use the secureat_private key to sign bulletin mailers
    in order to minimize the number of Microsoft keys customers have to have
    in their PGP keyrings.  We need to have a key that customers can use to
    send us encrypted mail at secureat_private, and we also need one we
    can use to sign bulletin mailers.  We concluded that we could avoid a
    certain amount of confusion by using the same key for both purposes.

    As you noted, there have been a number of bogus bulletin mailers
    circulating lately, and it's a good idea to always confirm the signature
    on any mailer you receive.  The signature verification on a mail could
    fail for any of a number of innocuous reasons -- the Notification
    Service's list server might flip a bit, the mail viewer on your local
    machine might reformat the mail when displaying it, etc -- or it could
    be a bogus mailer sent by a malicious user.  The signature verification
    process doesn't give you any way to know which is the case.  Anytime the
    signature verification fails, the best course of action is to visit
    www.microsoft.com/technet/security and view the web-hosted version of
    the bulletin.  The version on the web is always the authoritative
    version.

    Hope that helps explain the situation.  There's more information on this
    subject available at
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/itsolutions/security/news/bogus.asp.
    Regards,

    Scott Culp