Re: UDP packet handling weird behaviour of various operating systems

From: Cade Cairns (cairnscat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 15:39:23 PDT

    On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, Michal Zalewski wrote:

    > Uh-huh. Tested it on Linux 2.2 and 2.4, can't confirm the problem. It
    > would be pretty strange, btw, since it simply generates normal UDP packet,
    > no black magic, really, and remote system, unless there's comast service
    > running, politely responds with 'ICMP destination port unreachable', which
    > is translated into 'Connection refused'.

    After Stefan made his post to Bugtraq, I performed a few tests on machines
    running Linux 2.2.14 and Linux 2.4.0.  I wrote a simple test program to
    send a large number of small messages to an arbitrary serviceless port on
    the target machines.

    I was able to reproduce the problem on a slower (400mhz) machine running
    2.4.0, it virtually stopped responding until the flood ended.

    Cade Cairns
    SecurityFocus
    http://www.securityfocus.com/