Re: UDP packet handling weird behaviour of various operating systems

From: Jarno Huuskonen (Jarno.Huuskonenat_private)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 05:36:36 PDT

    On Thu, Jul 26, Stefan Laudat wrote:
    > Identical network cards for Win2k, Linux SMP and OpemBSD processor (Intel
    > Pro 100). Linux was run on dual p3/1Ghz(SMP), Pentium2/400Mhz and P3/800Mhz
    > (UP). Windows 2000 was run on p3/1Ghz UP. I've made tests with same results
    > against Linux UP boxes running on Celeron/600 with 3com Vortex and realtek
    > 8139 NICs. I've outlined that the result is the same no matter if you hit
    > via 1Gbit or 100Mbit.

    Could you test the pro100 adapter with the intel e100 driver with
    cpu-saver enabled (insmod e100.o ucode=1) ? (Also playing around with
    other parameters like IntDelay, BundleMax and Tx/RxDescriptors might
    make a difference). The 'cpu-saver' option should limit the number of
    interrupts the nic generates (this might help if the interrupts bring
    the machine to halt) (read the e100 driver manual for more information).

    -Jarno

    --
    Jarno Huuskonen <Jarno.Huuskonenat_private>