Re: TXT or HTML? -- IE NEW BUG

From: Stephen Cope (mail-e-e4f9ad24cc1631d595at_private)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 20:33:59 PDT

    cr4zybird wrote:
    : TXT or HTML? -- IE NEW BUG

    Na, old. IE likes to interpret files based on extension, rather than MIME
    type, as specified in Content-* response headers.

    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q258/4/52.asp

    I believe it is to cover over errors made by some server admins in
    configuring their servers. However to become compliant, one should fix the
    problem, NOT work around it. For in that way lies bloat.

    : vulnerable programs:
    : IE4 ,IE5 ,IE5,IE6 ,Microsoft Word ,Microsoft
    : Excel,Microsoft PowerPoint,

    IE4 is atrocious. I have a particular file that appears to have a .txt
    extension but is intentionally forced to an
    application/x-you-gotta-be-kidding (or similiar) MIME type. IE4 interprets
    it as HTML.

    IIRC IE5.5/Win asks you to save it to disk.

    : IE doesn't recognize the extensions of files, which
    : may contain some html

    The opposite: it ignores the Content-Type and acts on the extension.

    --
    Stephen Cope - http://sdc.org.nz/