Re: bug w2k

From: Carl Livitt (carlat_private)
Date: Sat Jul 28 2001 - 03:25:20 PDT

    > Just ping
    > Now press F7 and Enter (try a couple of times quickly...less than ten , and
    > you can see what a meaning)
    > The machine reboots, from nothing a warm reboot.

    Confirmed on Win2K Pro SP2, English. The reboot would not happen when there
    was no ping process. As soon as a ping was in progress, *boom*.

    I did notice there was a STOP, Fatal Error blue screen that appeared briefly,
    but I could not catch what it said before the machine rebooted. Perhaps
    someone else will have more luck?

    Does anyone know: is the F7 key (used in CMD.EXE as to bring up a
    most-recently-used command list) implemented in kernel or user space? If its
    in user space, then this is a doubly worrying bug as it hints that it would
    be possible for a non-privileged user to write code that could cause a BSOD
    and reboot. If it's in kernel space, well I just hope that this situation is
    not caused by an unchecked buffer....

    Carl Livitt
    Code Monkey
    IT in the Community