Re: TXT or HTML? -- IE NEW BUG

From: Tom Laermans (tom.laermansat_private)
Date: Sun Jul 29 2001 - 04:20:53 PDT

    Hi,

    At 12:42 28/07/2001, you wrote:
    >It is my belief that microsoft is aware of this. After all, they know they
    >have html parsers on their programs, because thats one of the functions of
    >those (go imagine IE not parsing html targets on files it reads stand-alone.
    >it wouldn't be a browser at all). Thus, this is no bug at all. Probably the
    >code parsing shouldn't be done in files other than .html, .htm, but if it is
    >not to be considered as a bug.

    Actually, it is a very large bug. Windows uses some sort of content-type in
    it's registry for all file extensions (check it out) ... Damn there are no
    content-type thingies in 2K .. there WERE in 98 .. I'm sure of it. It
    should only interpret for the HTML content type (text/html iirc) ... NOT
    for any other. So don't filter on .html, .htm, but only on the content
    type. (why else is the Content-Type: header present??)

    >I consider these not sollutions to what you point out as a problem, but

    They are...

    >general tips to avoid security problems. Antiviral software wont prevent
    >html parsers from doing their job. Also, changing name of system utilities
    >wont do anything at all. About your 4th solution. I don't believe antiviral
    >software detects any kind of html or activex as being potentially harmful.

    Actually it does. If I surf to a site, defaced with the IIS/sadmind worm,
    like www.nntp.be (their webmaster was mailed long time ago that their site
    was defaced, but... *sigh* ohwell now I can use this as an example), McAfee
    VShield pops up saying "Infected filename: <blablabla\temporary internet
    files\blablabla> infected with SunOS/BoxPoison.worm ....... So I does
    warn... twice, even.

    >And finally, i don't believe any patch will come out to prevent html
    >parsing.

    Ofcourse not. Then there would be no browsers anymore. But there HAS to
    come a patch to prevent html parsing on non-html files.

    Tom

    Web: http://www.powersource.cx --- ICQ#: 12120754
    Also check this out:  http://kickme.to/sidewinder
    Need some cheats?? http://www.chaos-cheatbase.com