Re: vmware bug?

From: Jose Tavares (jatat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 22:42:06 PDT

    At 15:57 30/07/01 -0400, you wrote:
    >oi oi.. i recently installed vmware (the latest release of the workstation
    >thing) and it crashed once or twice. But never mind that. in /tmp i found
    >a file called vmware-log.starman. starman being my user on the box. Inside
    >in this file is my license information and it's chmod is 777. That's kinda
    >nasty don't ya think? has anyone seen similar things?
    >lates
    >sj

    not confirmed!
    when the same version of vmware is run here (2.0.4 build-1142) it puts a
    vmware-log.user in the /tmp but it's chmod is 644 ...

    the licensekey is in this file but the hash isn't!

    but... stealing another users license is easy...

    the license2.0 file in the home directory is 644 too and ~/.vmware dir is
    755 ...

    --
                  Jose Antonio Alves Tavares Filho "_]{ILLER_"