RE: MS01-035 Hot Fix for IIS

From: Microsoft Security Response Center (secureat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 01 2001 - 18:04:15 PDT

    Hi All -

    We wanted to take a minute and clarify Joe's post a bit.  An issue
    was identified in the patch for MS01-035 last week.  We pulled the
    patch from the download site immediately and are working on a
    corrected patch which we'll release as soon as possible.  When the
    new patch is available, we'll re-release the bulletin.

    In the meantime, it's worth reiterating a couple of important points
    from the bulletin.  The piece of software that contains the
    vulnerability, known as the Visual Interdev RAD (Remote Application
    Deployment) Support sub-component, is not installed by default.
    Further, if the administrator does select it for installation, a
    dialogue box is displayed pointing out that the sub-component is not
    appropriate for use on production systems and should only be
    installed on development systems.

    As the bulletin discusses, Microsoft doesn't recommend applying the
    patch to production systems.  Instead, we recommend that the
    sub-component, if installed, be removed immediately.  The patch
    should only be applied to development systems, and even then on ones
    that require Visual Interdev RAD support.  Of course, standard best
    practices call for development to be performed on protected machines;
    it's never recommended to connect a development machine to the
    Internet.

    We apologize for any inconvenience, and are working to complete the
    updated patch as quickly as possible.

    Regards,

    Christopher Budd
    Security Program Manager