Re: Massive attack to Alcatel Speed Touch Home & Pro (fwd)

From: Rick Byers (rb-bugtraqat_private)
Date: Sun Aug 05 2001 - 08:27:31 PDT

    Can you elaborate on the mechanism you believe the attackers are using to
    install the software?  My understanding of the vulnerability in the STH is
    that it allows access from the INTERNAL LAN interface, or from the TelCo
    ATM interface - NOT over the public IP interface.  Besides, any traffic to
    my public IP will go to my server over the PPPoE link.  Assuming an
    attacker cannot generate packets from inside my LAN (through a bounce
    attack or something) and doesn't have direct access to my ATM link to the
    TelCo - I see no way for them to install new firmware (or interact with
    the configuration in any way) on my modem.

    Or are you saying that an improperly secured FTP server inside you network
    is being used to transfer files to the modem?  I'm not completely sure how
    this could work either....

    I thought I had myself protected (without patching my Firmware - since I
    rent my modem from my ISP), but your message raises some new concerns.  My
    firmware is still the KHDSBA.133 that came on the modem, but I wan't to
    make sure I'm protected against outside (not TelCo) modification...

    Thanks!