Re: Internal IP Address Disclosure in Microsoft-IIS 4.0 & 5.0

From: H D Moore (hdmat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 09 2001 - 21:13:08 PDT

    This problem also affects Apache, Netscape Enterprise Server,
    and probably many others.

    Apache responds this way if the ServerName directive is not
    set (or is set to the internal IP) and the UseCanonicalName
    option is On (which is the default configuration).

    From Apache 1.3.x httpd.conf:

    # UseCanonicalName:  (new for 1.3)  With this setting turned on, whenever
    # Apache needs to construct a self-referencing URL (a URL that refers back
    # to the server the response is coming from) it will use ServerName and
    # Port to form a "canonical" name.  With this setting off, Apache will
    # use the hostname:port that the client supplied, when possible.  This
    # also affects SERVER_NAME and SERVER_PORT in CGI scripts.
    #
    UseCanonicalName Off

    If ServerName is not set, the system will redirect users to what it
    thinks its hostname is (hostname.local, host.internal.net, etc). The
    Fix is to either set CanonicalName to Off or set the ServerName
    variable to the external hostname.

    I don't have a local NES system to check, but this demonstrates this
    problem fairly effectively ;)

    telnet www.verXXXgn.com 80
    Trying 216.1X8.XXX.XX...
    Connected to the.warmfuzzyofinternettrust.com.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    GET /images HTTP/1.0

    HTTP/1.1 302 Moved Temporarily
    Server: Netscape-Enterprise/3.6 SP3