Tool for cleaning up the obvious effects of the Code Red II worm

From: Microsoft Security Response Center (secureat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 09 2001 - 22:17:41 PDT

    We wanted to let you know that we've posted on our web site a tool that
    can be used to clean up the obvious effects of the Code Red II worm.
    The tool performs the following operations:

    - It removes the malicious files installed by the worm
    - It reboots the system to clear the hostile code from memory
    - It removes the mappings that the worm is currently known to install
    (See the section titled "Cautions" below)
    - For systems where IIS was enabled, but not in use, it provides an
    option to permanently disable IIS on the server.

    The tool and instructions for its use can be found at
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/itsol
    utions/security/tools/redfix.asp.  Because of potential timing issues
    caused by the way the worm operates, the tool should be run a second
    time after the reboot

    We're sure that readers of Bugtraq will understand that the worm exposes
    any system on which its active to other attacks that could result in an
    unathorized person gaining complete control of the server.  Thus, the
    tool should only be used to clean up systems where the risk of
    additional damage can be determined to be low.  For systems where you
    don't have confidence that the risk of additional damage is low, we
    recommend wiping the system and reloading the software from distribution
    media and the data from backups.  Our web page for the tool provides a
    link to a CERT Coordination Center page with detailed guidance for such
    a "wipe and reinstall" process.

    Steve Lipner
    Security Program Manager
    Microsoft Security Response Center