Re: Xerox N40 printers and Code Red worm

From: andrew morgan (morganat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 09:11:51 PDT

    On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Fox wrote:

    > I spoke with Xerox tech support at 11:00 this morning and was told the
    > firmware upgrade does NOT remove the Code Red susceptibility.  They
    > said, "We're working on it."
    >
    > No more network printing to the Xerox.

    When we spoke to them, they did not have a clue if the upgrade fixed the
    Code Red vulnerability.  They hadn't even heard of Code Red (which
    inspires confidence).  But we tried the firmware upgrade anyways.  We have
    three N40 printers, and we applied the upgrade to one of them.  The other
    two continued to crash, but the upgrade appeared to protect the first one.
    We applied the upgrade to the other printers and have not had any problems
    since.

    	Andy